This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1125480


The buildings surrounding principal court, St Catharine's College, Cambridge

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/02/2015

TL 4458 SE 6/281 942

ST CATHARINE'S COLLEGE The Buildings surrounding Principal Court

(Formerly listed as The Buildings surrounding Principal Court, ST CATHERINE'S COLLEGE



North Range - the Chapel 1694-7, Robert Grumbold, mason. Brick, with rusticated stone quoins and stone dressings. The interior is panelled with an original plaster ceiling. The original fittings include the oak communion rails; the panelling, reredos, screen and stalls are all by John Austin and Thomas Woodward and are of an exceedingly high quality. The Hall 1673-5, altered in 1868. Brick with stone quoins. Reset and repaired C17 panelling in Hall and Buttry. The Library The floor above the Hall, remodelled 1756-63. Good plasterwork and oak bookcases. West Range Completed 1687. Red brick with stone dressings. In 13 bays with the gateway in the central one. The gateway has a fine frontispiece on either side with a plain gathall between. The East side has two orders, Tuscan and Corinthian; the West side is Ionic. The oak bolection moulded double doors are original. The rest of the range has a considerable amount of fine original woodwork, panelling, fireplaces, doors and staircases. South Range and Ramsden Building The West end of the range is 1681. It was originally the Master's Lodge and is of 8 bays. The interior has a considerable amount of original bolection moulded panelling and other woodwork. The Ramsden Building, 1757-1772, by James Essex. Brick with rusticated quoins. A symmetrical design, partly a replica of the Chapel exterior. The interior has the original staircases and plaster dentil cornices in the rooms. (RCHM).

Listing NGR: TL4472658183

Selected Sources

Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 44726 58183


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:26:17.

End of official listing