JESUS COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING CLOISTER AND OUTER COURTS, AND THE EAST RANGE OF PUMP COURT (EXCLUDING THE NORTH RANGE OF OUTER COURT)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1125529

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: JESUS COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING CLOISTER AND OUTER COURTS, AND THE EAST RANGE OF PUMP COURT (EXCLUDING THE NORTH RANGE OF OUTER COURT)

Map

Ordnance survey map of JESUS COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING CLOISTER AND OUTER COURTS, AND THE EAST RANGE OF PUMP COURT (EXCLUDING THE NORTH RANGE OF OUTER COURT)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:55:56.

Location

Statutory Address: JESUS COLLEGE, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING CLOISTER AND OUTER COURTS, AND THE EAST RANGE OF PUMP COURT (EXCLUDING THE NORTH RANGE OF OUTER COURT)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 45202 58890

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

JESUS COLLEGE 1. 942 The Buildings surrounding Cloister and Outer Courts, and the East Range of Pump Court (excluding the North Range of Outer Court). TL 4558 NW 4/264 26.4.50. I 2. Outer Court South Range with Gatetower circa 1500 with alterations in 1880. Red brick with stone dressings. Late C19 timber panelled ceiling in gatehall. The room above has mid-C18 fielded panelling. The rest of the range is 1503-7, third storey added 1718, redesigned after a fire in 1951. Many C18 internal features on lower floors. Cloister Court with Chapel On the site of the Nuns' Cloister. The external walls of the walks were rebuilt with 4-centred arches 1762-5. Fine timber roofs circa 1500. The Chapel is the oldest part of the College buildings, dating from the C12 and C13. It has been almost entirely refaced in the C19 and C20. Restored by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin 1846-9. The tower has 3 stages, the top one of circa 1500 with a C19 embattled parapet. The Chancel roof of 1847-9 was designed by Pugin; the other roofs are of circa 1500 but restored by Pugin, those of the crossing have paintings by the Morris firm. Glass, lectern and communion table all designed by Pugin 1847-9. Organ by John Sutton 1847. Screen and stalls both by Pugin 1847-9. Fine carved bench ends of circa 1500. East Range Some C13 external features but mainly covered or altered in later centuries. The interior has beams and partitions of circa 1500; also a staircase and some doors. The Combination Room has panelling of 1762 by James Essex, and there are a number of other features from the C17 and C18. North Range C13, with rebuilding circa 1500, and much later alterations, a number of circa 1500 features survive, mostly in the form of blocked doors and windows. 2 storeys, mainly red brick. The interior of the range contains the Hall and the Buttery. The Hall is of 6 bays and has an oriel window of circa 1500 and a screen and wainscoting of 1703. The oriel was restored by Waterhouse in 1871; the other windows are also circa 1500. The roof is circa 1500 with a cupola of 1709. There is some C16 and C17 heraldic glass. West Range C13 rebuilding circa 1500. 2 storeys brick, part plastered. Also with a number of original features either blocked or concealed entirely. The interior of the range contains the Kitchen, Pantry and Old Library. The Kitchen and Pantry have been modernised. The Library is of 7 bays with a roof of circa 1500. The room was refitted 1663-79 and the bookcases date from that time. There is also interesting glass and a C17 doorcase. The Master's Lodge This occupies part of the South and West ranges of Cloister Court. Of very varied dates from C13 onward. 3 storeys, brick. Re-modelled by R H Carpenter in 1886 after alterations in 1718-20. There are many concealed medieval features. The interior has an C18 staircase and some re-set panelling, the Conference Chamber has pine panelling from circa 1600 and a fine fireplace. The West wing contains some C18 panelling. East Range of Pump Court 1822. By James Webster. White brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Symmetrical design, largely unaltered both outside and in the interior. (RCHM).

Listing NGR: TL4520258890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47155

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

End of official listing