CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125542

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 07:15:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Wooburn

National Grid Reference: SU 90953 87795

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOBURN WOOBURN TOWN SU 98 NW 6/204 Church of St. Paul 21.6.55 GV II* Parish church. Originally late C12, with mid Cl4 N. chapel and chancel, and W. tower added 1442; all heavily restored, internally 1856 by Butterfield, externally 1868-69, Knapped flint, stone dressings, tiled roof to N. chapel, lead roofs to remainder. W. tower, nave, aisles, chancel, N. chapel now used as vestry. C19 off-set buttresses. Re-fenestrated 1868, except for N. chapel, with traceried windows in Decorated style with segmental heads, hoodmoulds and carved head stops. W. Tower is of 3 stages with battlemented parapet, moulded plinth and strings, diagonal buttresses, and pinnacled octagonal stair turret at S.E. corner. Bell chamber has 2-light openings; W. side has single light to second stage, large 3-light window, and moulded doorway. Nave has battlemented clerestory with C19 carved head gargoyles and 4 bays of 2-light windows. Aisles have C19 ornamental stone brackets to moulded eaves, and 3 bays of 3-light windows, the S. aisle with similar E. window and 2-light W. window. N. chapel has C14 traceried windows with arched heads, 2 to N. of 2-lights restored C20 with plastic stone, 3-light E. window partially restored with cement. C19 N. door with shaped Caernarvon arch. Small C19 chimney. Battlemented chancel with 2 bays of 2-light windows to S., and 3-light E. window. Interior: moulded tower arch; late C12 4-bay nave arcades of unmoulded 2-centred arches on cylindrical piers; C19 chancel arch on corbel columns, moulded arch to N. chapel. 2 piscinae in chancel, one cusped and with a shelf, another in N. chapel. Fittings: 2 chests, one C13, the other C17; rood screen by Sir N. Comper 1899, slightly later screen to N. chapel by studio of Comper; other fittings and glass mid C19. Monuments: large wall tablet to Philip Lord Wharton 1695, with Ionic pilasters, flanking scrolls, and open segmental pediment with coat-of-arms; 2 C18 wall tablets; 6 brasses, C15-C17, one to infant Arthur Wharton d. 1614. RCHM I p. 322-323.

Listing NGR: SU9095387795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47087

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing