This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WESTHORPE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTHORPE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1125579

Location

WESTHORPE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Marlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46984

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE MARLOW WESTHORPE PARK SU 88 NE 5/100 Westhorpe House 21.6.55 II House and attached service wing. Early C18, for James Chase, M.P. for Marlow (d. 1721). Altered early C19. Colourwashed render over brick, the front of concealed vitreous headers with red dressings. Hipped roof covered with plastic sheeting, formerly slated. Red and vitreous brick chimneys. 3 storeys and attic, 7 bays. Short plinth, first floor band course, shallow moulded cornice with balustraded parapet. Outer bays are more widely spaced and have flanking pilaster strips. Early C19 sash windows with narrow glazing bars, 2-panes wide on ground floor, 3-pane above. Most lower windows boarded up. Central early C19 stone porch in form of 3-bay arcaded portico with entablature broken forwards over Ionic columns. Arches glazed and boarded. Right end has early C19 single-storey bowed projection with moulded cornice and 3 bays of French windows with blind boxes. Blind boxes to ground floor rear windows. Service wing attached to rear left corner is of brick, colourwashed to N.E., with hipped tile roof and parapet over band course. 2 storeys, 7 bays, the 3 centre bays slightly advanced with ground floor part altered to 2 garage entries. Other window openings are original and have slightly cambered heads, the upper windows with C20 paired metal casements. Interior has early C18 open-well 2-storey staircase, in derelict condition, with twisted balusters, fluted Corinthian column newels, moulded handrail and carved scroll tread ends. Small semi- circular balustraded projections to landings, Dado panelling probably later. Service stairs between upper floors in E. corner have splat balusters; early C18 staircase with turned balusters in service wing. Interior otherwise stripped, the first floor retaining a very little early C18 panelling, the ground floor remodelled early C19.

Listing NGR: SU8666487277

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 86664 87277

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:25:01.

End of official listing