This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TEMPLE 700 METRES NORTH EAST OF HARLEYFORD MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEMPLE 700 METRES NORTH EAST OF HARLEYFORD MANOR

List entry Number: 1125636

Location

TEMPLE 700 METRES NORTH EAST OF HARLEYFORD MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Marlow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46917

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT MARLOW HARLEYFORD SU 88 NW 4/33 Temple 700m. N.E. of Harleyford Manor - - II Temple. Mid-late C18. Possibly by Sir Robert Taylor. Ashlar facing over brick, rendered plinth. Octagonal; one storey and basement. Moulded cornice broken forwards over angle columns with finely carved Corinthian capitals and moulded plinths. Alternate arched niches and window openings with plain surrounds to main storey, each side with stone panel above. W. side has steps up to doorway with architrave surround and dentil cornice. Basement has doorway to S., window to N., and small fireplace. Domed roof missing. Derelict. May be temple described by Langley as Temple of Friendship, dated 1775 on plaque over door (T. Langley, History of the Hundred of Desborough, 1797, p. 100-101.)

Listing NGR: SU8310285061

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Langley, T , History of the Hundred of Desborough, (1797), 100-101
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SU 83102 85061

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:47:41.

End of official listing