CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125644

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, TURVILLE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125644 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:46:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, TURVILLE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Turville

National Grid Reference: SU 76701 91153

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 79 SE TURVILLE TURVILLE VILLAGE (south side)

3/182 Church of St. Mary

21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. Nave originally C12 with C14 chancel; W. tower completely rebuilt early C16; S. porch probably C18; N. aisle dated 1733; N. vestry dated 1900. All much restored except for tower. Flint with stone dressings, rendered chancel, brick N. aisle. Tiled roofs. W. tower of 2 stages has moulded plinth and string, battlemented brick parapet with dripmould, and diagonal buttresses. Early C16 openings with 4-centred heads and Tudor hoodmoulds, 2-light to bell-chamber and W. side, single light to S. W. door with moulded 4-centred arch and hoodmould. N. side of nave has later brick buttresses, blocked door with pointed chamfered arch, and lunette. S. side has 2 restored 2-light traceried windows, single cusped light to left, and S. door with pointed arch of 2 orders, the inner roll-moulded, the outer chamfered. Brick porch with rendered gable. N. aisle has 2 gables to N., and rusticated brick quoins. C20 door between aisle and vestry. Chancel has restored Decorated windows similar to S. side of nave: 2 2-light to S., 3-light to E. Ogee S. door. Interior: tower has semi-circular niche in N. wall, and C14 chamfered arch to nave. Nave has fine crown post roof of 4 bays, and C18 2-bay N. arcade with semi-circular arches. C14 chancel arch, 2-centred and chamfered with broad flat soffits. Chancel completely restored, with cusped piscina, arch to vestry of 1900, and carved foliage frieze along E. wall. Fittings: medieval tub font; re-sited C15 carved wooden panel with cusped tracery and rosettes in tower; 4 C16-C17 pews; some heraldic stained glass in N. aisle. Monuments: N. aisle has marble monument to members of Perry family c.1740, with inscription tablets, flanking scrolls, broken cornice,pair of carved urns and heraldic cartouche. Wall tablet to William Butlin and family 1817. RCHM I p. 297-298.

Listing NGR: SU7670191153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46834

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing