This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1125680

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hambleden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46723

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 79 SE HAMBLEDEN FRIETH

3/73 Church of St. John the Evangelist

II

Parish church. 1849 by J.P. Harrison; S. aisle dated 1872 on rainwater heads, probably by Woodyer. Flint With stone dressings and tiled roofs. Nave, N. porch, S. aisle, chancel, S. vestry. Off-set buttresses. Traceried windows in Decorated style. Nave has 2-light windows, one to W., and one to N. Arched N. door in'gabled porch with chamfered arch and 2 small trefoil-headed lights to each side. S. aisle has 3 very steep cross gables, each with 2-light window. Caernarvon arch and small ogee window to vestry. Chancel has 2-light N. window and 3-light E. window. Interior: double chamfered S. arcade on cylindrical piers with moulded caps; large chancel arch with waved chamfer on moulded corbels; ogee piscina. Traceried wood panelling in chancel. E. window with scenes of Passion, by Hardman, after design of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; 3 other windows by Kempe. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Bucks. p. 137).

Listing NGR: SU7966490200

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960), 137

National Grid Reference: SU 79664 90200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:21:33.

End of official listing