This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GREENLANDS (THE MANAGEMENT COLLEGE, HENLEY)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREENLANDS (THE MANAGEMENT COLLEGE, HENLEY)

List entry Number: 1125682

Location

GREENLANDS (THE MANAGEMENT COLLEGE, HENLEY)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hambleden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN GREENLANDS

Greenlands (The Management College, Henley) 6/77 II* (star)

Mansion, now college. Circa 1810, for Thomas Darby-Coventry. Extended 1853 for Edward Marjoribanks, and 1871 for W H Smith. Further alterations to W front 1936-38 by P Geddes Hyslop. Whitewashed render, slate roofs concealed by parapets. S front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 3 centre bays of 1810, the outer bays of 1853. Mid C19 modillion cornice and balustraded parapet to all bays. Mid C19 banded quoins. Centre bay has tripartite sash with architrave surround and cornice to first floor, and early C19 entrance portico with 4 Ionic columns and entablature. Capitals have festoons. Flanking bays are slightly advanced and have bowed projections . 4-light French doors to ground floor, tripartite sashes to first floor, all with architrave surrounds and cornices. Outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows with pilasters, entablatures and 3-pane sashes. Single-storey whitewashed brick extension to right, formerly an orangery but now a dining hall, with late C19 2-storey service wing behind. Service wing has sash windows with shouldered surrounds, and formerly had 3-storey tower at angle with main block. Small tower with blind arcade of 3 Romanesque arches and steep pyramid roof to right side of rear service blocks. W front has 6 bays of sashes, and 2 centre bays slightly recessed with entrance in Doric patico, probably C20. Another wing and C20 extensions set back to left. Interior: entrance hall has distyle in antis Ionic screen of paired columns, dentil cornice and pedimented doorcases. Early C19 open string stair with decorative wrought-iron balusters, wreathed mahogany handrail and panelled dado to garden hall. Rooms retain mid C19 plasterwork and C18 style fireplaces. Of particular interest, are the early C20 Old Library designed and executed by William Morris & Co for the Hon. W F D Smith, MP. Fitted oak panelling, shelves and glazed cupboards with carved cornice and arcaded shelf above which a deep plasterwork frieze to the square-coffered ceiling. Green marble chimneypiece with bracketed oak mantle and carved lugged frame overmantle. Fine copper Art Nouveau wall and ceiling light fittings and bell pulls and door furniture with monograms to panelled oak double leaf doors. The Old Library is illustrated in Hints on House Furnishing, 1909 by W Shaw Sparrow. Also, the Garden common room decorated with hand-painted wallpaper. Probably c1870's by Italian craftsmen for W H Smith and rediscovered August 1991. Large panels of fine foliate and florinate framework decoration alternate with narrower panels having more ornate arabesque designs composed of florinate, foliate, vases and animal designs; also ovals, originally containing marouflaged panels of classical figures. C18 style ceiling with evidence of hand-painting under current paint. Former bathroom tiled to full height with fine patterned glazed tiles, depicting on the dado fantastic fish in a 4 tile repeat pattern.

Listing NGR: SU7757085483

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Shaw Sparrow, W , Hints on House Furnishing, (1909)

National Grid Reference: SU 77570 85483

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125682 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 12:36:34.

End of official listing