This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1125692



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hambleden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46750

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/98 Hambleden Manor House

21.6.55 II*

House. Early C17 U-plan building, said to have been built 1603 for Emanuell Scrope, later Earl of Sunderland. Altered and extended c.1830 and C20. Original part is of flint with narrow brick dressings and old tile roof. Brick chimneys to left and rear with groups of square shafts set diagonally. 2 storeys, cellars and attic. Chamfered plinth moulded string courses. W. front has 3 gables with moulded and plastered brick coping, each gable having a large 4 light attic window with chamfered brick mullions and transom, and C20 leaded glazing. Main floors have 4-bay fenestration in altered openings, the ground floor with 3-pane sashes, the first floor with larger C19 sashes. Ground floor sashes in right bays have thick glazing bars. Cellar openings in left bays. 2-storey gabled porch projects to centre, of coursed and squared flint with moulded brick string raised over chamfered brick lozenge. Moulded 4-centred brick arch with hoodmould; 3-light window above with hollow- chamfered brick mullions. Similar 2-light window to first floor of left return, 2-light leaded casement to right return. Flanking porch are lead rainwater pipes dated 1748. Circa 1800 2-storey brick extension to left, with dentil eaves and hipped roof. S. front is similar to W. front but with French doors to ground floor and C19 tripartite sashes to attic. Circa 1830-40 extension to right, of flint with brick dressings, and with gable and shallow canted projection. Sash windows with gauged brick heads. Circa 1960 garden room and billiard room, of flint with stone dressings, to far right. Interior remodelled c.1830 and C20. Ground floor rooms in S. wing have good c.1830 reeded doorcases and plaster ceiling cornices. Entrance hall has fine early C19 corner cupboard with pilasters, arch and cornice, scrolled spandrels, shaped marbled shelves, and dome painted with flower basket. Some C17 doors and timber partitioning in attic. RCHM I p.186 Mon.3.

Listing NGR: SU7851086651

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SU 78510 86651


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:37:17.

End of official listing