CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1125743
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125743.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:47:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hughenden
National Grid Reference:
SU 86421 95526

Details

HUGHENDEN HUGHENDEN PARK SU 89 NE

4/90 Church of St. Michael and all Angels. 21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. Originally C14, almost totally rebuilt 1875 by Sir A.W. Blomfield. Knapped flint with stone dressings and tiled roofs. N.W. tower, nave, S.porch,N. aisle, N. chapel now vestry, and chancel. In decorated style with arched traceried windows. Tower is of 3 stages with set back buttresses, battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof. Each side has pair of large 2-light openings to bell-chamber; W. side has moulded doorway and lancet windows. Nave has 4-light W. window, one 3-light and 2 2-light windows to S., and a moulded S. door in steeply gabled porch. C20 extension to N. aisle with row of leaded lights. N. chapel has 2-light window to N. and 3-light E. window with old tracery. Chancel has 2 2-light windows to S. and a 3-light window to E. Interior: C19 N. arcade of 3 bays with octagonal piers; similar chancel arch; 2-light windows to original outer wall of N. aisle; 2 C15 moulded arches between chancel and N. chapel, the central octagonal pier with painted shields on capital; C14 ogee piscina; C19 roofs and painted decoration in chancel. Fittings: C13 cylindrical font with trefoil arcade and foliage frieze; C17 altar table in N. aisle; richly carved marble pulpit of 1891, with figures of archangels in ogee niches; C19 glass including Disraeli memorial in E. window, and N.W. window commemorating Queen Victoria's escape from assassination 1882. Monuments: Queen Victoria's monument to Benjamin Disraeli 1882, with profile portrait carved by R.C. Belt, on N. wall of chancel; monument to Thomas Lane 1621 on S. wall of chancel with small carved figure kneeling at reading desk; medieval cadavre with open shroud in 4-centred arch in N. chapel; 2 medieval effigies of knights in N. chapel, one on E. window sill, the other cross-legged and embellished C16; 3 early C16 slabs with low relief figures of fake medieval knights, supposedly of the Montfort and Wellesbourne families, also in N. chapel, one in a 4-centred arched recess. RCHM I.p.209-210. MON. 2.

Listing NGR: SU8642195526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
46570
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01117/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret I.G. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].