This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PIGGOTTS HOUSE, WITH BARN ATTACHED TO NORTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PIGGOTTS HOUSE, WITH BARN ATTACHED TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1125754

Location

PIGGOTTS HOUSE, WITH BARN ATTACHED TO NORTH, PIGGOTTS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hughenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46591

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUGHENDEN PIGGOTT'S HILL SU 89 NE 4/111 Pigott's House, with barn attached to north -

GV II

House and barn, the barn formerly used as stone workshop by Eric Gill. House is early C19, extended c.1930. Brick, dentil eaves, old tile roof with half hip to front projection, large square brick chimney at junction between wings. L-plan. 2-storey rear range with blocked doorway and 3-light leaded casement to first floor left. Projecting range to right is of one storey and attic with 2 bays of lowered 2-light leaded windows to ground floor and 2 gabled eaves line dormers with 3-light wooden casements. Blocked semi-circular arch to left in line with chimney. c.1930 bay to front with arched door. Lower brick range attached to left is early-mid C19, of one storey and attic. This has 4 3-light wooden casements to ground floor, 2 more in gabled eaves-line dormers, and bell hanging over half-glazed door to right. Barn is late C18- early C19, with brick lower walls, weatherboard above, and old tile roof. 4 bays. Front has doors at each end, and 3 wooden windows. Rear has gabled projection to second bay. Curved principal trusses. Large C20 concert hall of concrete blocks to rear is not of special interest Home of Eric Gill 1928-1940. House partly used as engraving workshop- former dairy used as chapel. At Pigott's Gill worked on carvings for St. James' Park Underground Station, Prospero and Ariel for Broadcasting House, The Recreation of Man for the League of Nations building at Geneva, and on the altar of the English Martyrs at Westminster Cathedral. (Donald Attwater, A Cell of Good Living, 1969).

Listing NGR: SU8536398941

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Attwater, D, A Cell of Good Living, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SU 85363 98941

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 03:22:10.

End of official listing