This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CITY

List entry Number: 1125772

Location

THE CITY, 1 AND 2, WEST LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON WEST LANE SP 70 SE

1/54 Nos. 1 and 2, The City (formerly listed as The City) 21.6.55

- II

Pair of houses. C16-C17, partly rebuilt C19. C16-early C17 block nearest road is timber framed with brick infill, the gable with rendered framing. Front is partly rebuilt with some thin brick and some C19 white brick. Old tile roof half-hipped to road, with chimney of thin brick to right. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Left bay has paired barred wooden casements in gable, weatherboard lean-to and chimney to front left, and C18 staircase projection of red and vitreous brick with hipped roof and small window. Right bay has paired barred wooden casements and board door. Brick outshot to rear. Lower range to right is later C17 with some timber framing, the front rebuilt C19 in red and white brick with some flint. Old tile roof, off-centre chimney of thin brick. One storey and attic, 2 1/2 bays. 3 paired barred wooden casements to ground floor, another in gabled eaves-line dormer to left. Weatherboard shed to right. Interior: C16-C17 part has diagonal braces and wind-braces, and shaped rack over fireplace. RCHM I p. 56 Mon.8.

Listing NGR: SP7756402263

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 77564 02263

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:21:35.

End of official listing