This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1125787

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Princes Risborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46468

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8104 PRINCES RISBOROUGH MILL LANE (MONKS RISBOROUGH)

8/197 The Old Rectory

28.8.62

- II

House, former rectory. 1670, for Dr. Tompkins, rector. Altered and enlarged 1863, N.E. wing of c.1930. Original building is of red and vitreous brick, irregularly bonded, the S.E. front with first floor band course. Alterations in red brick. Old tile roof, rebuilt brick chimneys flanking main ridge, tall brick stack with pilaster and off-set head to left gable of N.W. front. Originally H-plan with short gabled side wings, the N.W. front with altered lean-to to centre part. Irregular N.E. end with gabled staircase bay on N. side and C19 and C20 extensions. 2 storeys and attic, 5 C17 bays. N.W. front: staircase bay and gabled bay immediately to right have leaded cross casements to ground floor, and paired and single leaded casements above. Centre bays have C19 cross windows with stone mullions and transoms to ground floor flanking porch, and 3 gabled dormers with paired casements, partly leaded. Central C19 2-storey porch has shaped bargeboards to gable, 3-light cusped stone window with carved motto panel and arched string above, and moulded stone doorway with brick arch. Bay to right has gable rebuilt C19, large C19 3-light traceried stone window, and low C20 board doors. S.E. front: side wings have C19 bay windows, the left canted and full height, with stone mullion and transom windows. Other bays have C20 paired wooden casements, those to ground floor French doors, with rendered hoodmoulds. Moulded stone or render string below eaves. Interior much altered. RCHM I p.259 Mon.2

Listing NGR: SP8132604428

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 81323 04425

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125787 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:10:12.

End of official listing