CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125815

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:04:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Princes Risborough

National Grid Reference: SP 80597 03492

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 8003 PRINCES RISBOROUGH CHURCH STREET

9/158 Church of St. Mary

21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14, heavily restored and part rebuilt 1867-8 by Arthur Blomfield, tower completely rebuilt by J. Oldrid Scott 1907-8. Flint with limestone dressings. Tiled roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to aisles. Nave, aisles, W. tower, S. porch, chancel, C19 organ chamber to N. W. tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, chequered parapet and octagonal spire with lucarnes. Elaborate 3-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, cusped lights below, 2-light traceried window and door to W. Nave has 5-bay clerestory with C19 cusped round windows. Aisles have moulded parapets. S. aisle has 2 3-light windows to S., the left cusped, the right with grouped lancets. 2-light E. window with Y tracery. Moulded S. doorway with one shaft to each jamb. C19 gabled porch. N. aisle rebuilt C19 with traceried windows, 2 in Decorated style to right, 2 Perpendicular to left. Re-sited moulded doorway. Chancel has moulded sill course and 2-light traceried windows, one to N., 2 to S., the left window above a small blocked rectangular opening with chamfered surround. Moulded S. doorway, C19 3-light traceried window to E. Interior: tall narrow C19 arch to tower. Nave has 7-bay arcades of double chamfered arches,the W. arches on quatrefoil piers and responds, the E. arches inserted C19 with circular piers, other piers octagonal. S. aisle retains late C13 and early C14 details: E. window has moulded arch on shafts, and hoodmould with carved head stops; very fine S.E. window with moulded arches on attached shafts, and matching inner screen; sedile and piscina with cusped ogee canopies on shafts; 4 cusped ogee tomb recesses. Chancel arch is totally restored, as is most of chancel. N.E. window retains late C13 moulded arch on shafts. Trefoil piscina. C19 roods throughout. Fittings: good early C17 hexagonal pulpit with arcaded panels; late C16 chest with inlaid panels and strapwork frieze; other fittings and glass C19. E. window by Kempe and Tower 1909. Monuments: marble tablet in chancel to John and Rebecca Grace 1764 and 1770. RCHM I p. 269 - 270.

Listing NGR: SP8059703492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46429

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing