CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1125865

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 02:15:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Lacey Green

National Grid Reference: SU 82495 99869

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 89 NW LACEY GREEN CHURCH LANE

7/69 Church of St John the Evangelist 21.6.55

- II

Parish church, formerly chapel of ease. Nave of 1822-25 by J. Chadley; chancel added 1871 by J. P. Seddon. Flint, Denner Hill stone quoins and chamfered plinth, chamfered brick window surrounds, cogged brick eaves. Roof re-tiled 1980. Cruciform nave; chancel with canted E. end and small organ chamber to north. W. end of nave has gabled porch with rendered 4-centred arch, and later brick chimney to -right. 3 bays of rectangular 3-light transomed windows to N. and S., the centre bays projecting with rendered Tudor hood-moulds over windows and rendered crosses in gables. Blind panels with 4-centred arches to W.sides of projections, N. projection with blocked 4-centred doorway to E. Later C19 bell-cote between nave and chancel, also a buttress to S. Chancel has flush brick band course, 2-light traceried stone windows, and arched door to S. Interior: nave plastered and colourwashed with wide 4-centred arches to central projections. Roof has slender hammer beam trusses with central 4-centred arches and turned pendants. W. gallery with panelled front on cast iron quatrefoil shafts. Armorial glass in central N.window commemorating original donors. Chancel is lined with yellow brick and patterned with red brick dressings and diapers. Steeply pointed chancel arch, another arch to organ chamber. Painted wooden vault. Stained glass of 1905.

Listing NGR: SU8249599869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46339

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing