CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125881

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 09:59:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Ellesborough

National Grid Reference: SP 83637 06739

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 80 NW ELLESBOROUGH CHURCH HILL

2/10 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. Late C14-C15, much restored and externally refaced 1854-71. C19 S. vestry and S. porch. Flint with stone dressings; lead roofs to nave and S. aisle; slated chancel and vestry. W. tower, nave, S. aisle, S. porch, chancel and vestry. Tall tower at W. end of S. aisle has diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and semi-octagonal stair turret at S.E. corner. Large paired cusped lancets to bell-chamber, single cusped lights below, 2-light traceried window to W. Nave and S. aisle have moulded parapets and C14-C15 traceried windows with carved head stops to hoodmoulds. Some old stonework in window surrounds but otherwise all detail is C19. Nave has 3-light window and moulded doorway at W. end, and 3 similar windows and blocked moulded doorway to N. S. aisle has single and 3-light windows, moulded door, and gabled porch with carved figures of saints in elaborate ogee niches over arch. Slight projection to centre of aisle has stone roundel carved with coat-of-arms and stylised oak tree. Chancel has similar traceried windows: 2 and 3- light to N; 3-light to E. with ogee cusping to cinquefoil above. C19 cusped lights and door to vestry. Church has imposing site on crest of a small hill. Interior: clunch dressings. Tower has moulded and chamfered arches, of 3 orders to nave, and 2 to S. aisle, on semi- octagonal piers with moulded caps, the label above with reworked carved heads. Similar chancel arch with moulded piers and no label. Moulded surrounds to N. windows. Small cusped ogee niche in centre of N. wall. Chancel has C19 arched doorway to vestry and arch to organ chamber. Clunch piscina with carved spandrels and embattled frieze, much reworked C19. C19-early C20 fittings and glass; 1901 reredos with gilt relief panels and painted shutters. Monuments: fine wall monument to Bridget Croke d.1638, in recess in S. aisle, of black and white marble, with finely dressed effigy reclining on sarcophagus below coffered arch on paired Corinthian columns; brass to Thomas and Sybell Hawtrey 1544; stone tablet in chancel to Robert Wallis 1666. RCHM I p 137-139 Mon.2.

Listing NGR: SP8363706739

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46278

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing