This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1125896

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48179

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 30 SE WISBECH ST. MARY HIGH ROAD 13/86 (North Side) Guyhirne

Church of St. Mary Magdalene

II

Parish church, designed by Sir G.G. Scott in early English style and built 1878. Wire cut gault brick. West end of nave surmounted by gabled bell-cote above a foiled vesica shaped window and three lancets with double chamfered reveals. Nave of three bays, divided by two stage buttressing, each with a similar lancet, except for a round window with cinquefoil cusping above open-sided south porch of wood with a gabled, tiled roof. Two-centred arch to south doorway. East window of chancel is round with a smaller foiled circle within and radial colonettes to outer circle. Below, three chamfered lancets. Interior. Chancel arch two-centred and of two chamfered orders, inner on shafts with moulded capitals and springing from corbels carved with angels. Chancel has original tiled floor. Two centred, chamfered arches to openings to north vestry and south chapel. Pulpit of limestone, octagonal on stem with Purbeck marble shafts to angles. Font. Tapering octagonal bowl in early English style on a Purbeck marble stem with eight subsidiary detached shafts, also of marble and each with moulded capital and base. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.236. Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.399.

Listing NGR: TF3975503296

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 399
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 236

National Grid Reference: TF 39755 03296

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:02:24.

End of official listing