This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CASTLE SQUARE, 4, YORK ROW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CASTLE SQUARE, 4, YORK ROW

List entry Number: 1125909

Location

4, YORK ROW
CASTLE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21 September 2017.

WISBECH CASTLE SQUARE TF 4609 (South Side) 6/13 No. 4 (York Row) GV II

House built c.1797. One of a terrace of houses continuing from the Crescent along York Row, part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate, designed and built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827) from 1793 to 1816. Local brown brick; slate roof, side stack. Three storeys and basement; three 'bays'. Stone coped parapet, painted stone bands at first and second floor. Three, hung sash windows without glazing bars recessed in cambered red brick arches with stone cills at first and second floor. Two similar windows to right hand of entrance. Wooden doorcase with broken pediment and fluted half-round columns. Six panelled door and fanlight with patterned glazing bars. Two stone steps. NMR (C. Gregory, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502. Colvin, p.386, 1950. VCH Cambs, p.242. Annis G., A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p.43, 1898. Watson, History of Wisbech prints, 1827. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278;1849.

Listing NGR: TF4611109546

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 46122 09588

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:07:37.

End of official listing