4, THE CRESCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1125914

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 4, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4, THE CRESCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:16:48.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46205 09530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/28 No. 4 GV II

Terrace house built c.1793 in two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick; slate roof and side stack. Three storeys and basement; two 'bays'. Stone coped parapet with painted stone bands at first and second floor. Two second floor recessed, hung sash windows with no glazing bars in cambered gauged red brick arches with stone cills. Two similar, but larger first floor and one ground floor windows. Two stone steps to entrance left of centre with six-panelled door and plain fanlight in double recessed red gauged brick arch. Rear elevation raised to three storeys above original outshut has two storey, round arched hung sash stair window with glazing bars. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of ilisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4620509530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48226

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing