This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1125921

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Parson Drove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 30 NE PARSON DROVE CHURCH END 9/60 (South Side)

The Old Rectory GV II

Former rectory, c.1760, probably for Rev John Dickinson. Gault brick front wall, with local brick to side and rear walls and Ketton limestone dressings to quoins, door and window surrounds. Hipped, slate roof, pedimented to front with bulls eye window to tympanum. End stacks. Plan of two rooms flanking hall. Two storeys and attic. Range of three hung sashes with glazing bars, and two similar but larger windows at ground floor. Central pedimented doorway with moulded architrave and pulvinated frieze. Garden doorway at rear has a rusticated surround, raised key block and moulded cornice. Adjoining to the east is a lower kitchen range, much altered. Interior. Fine 1760 interior to one ground floor room. Cornice with cyma, egg and dart and dentil mouldings. Richly carved surround to one window with fret pattern between console brackets carved with acanthus and drops of husk ornament. Shouldered fireplace surround of pine with some marble and above is a shouldered and ramped overmantel with swan's neck pediment with shell motif. The staircase is also 1760 and of four flights, closed-string with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newels. Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.450. W. Watson, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF3903009017

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 450
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

National Grid Reference: TF 39030 09017

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:17:18.

End of official listing