Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125941

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: ELM HOUSE, MAIN ROAD


Ordnance survey map of ELM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 16:56:32.


Statutory Address: ELM HOUSE, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Elm

National Grid Reference: TF 47114 07012


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



23.6.52 Elm House


House, C.1630, with late C18 facade. Red brick, English bond with paler bricks, Flemish bond, to front wall. Parapetted roof of Collyweston slates to front range and Welsh slates to roof of rear range. Tumbled gable end parapets and projecting end stacks, one to the north corbelled out. Rear range has a ridge and end stack. T-plan. Front range of two storeys and attics. Three dormers. The parapet has recessed panels and stone coping and the facade is framed by pilaster strips and bands above first floor and between the storeys. The centre bay projects slightly. Stone sills and gauged, red brick arches to range of five recessed hung sashes each of twelve panes. Three stone steps, segmental in plan lead up to central doorway with flat hood on moulded wood brackets. Six panelled door with rectangular fanlight. The c.1630 part of the front range has rubbed brick band between the storeys. The rear range was originally of two storeys but an attic storey was added when the roof was raised in the late C18. Band at former eaves height and between storeys. At first floor, three former window openings, now blocked, with rusticated brick surrounds. Segmental arches to two late C18 flush frame hung sashes in open boxing. Doorway, opposite the stack forming a lobby entry. In north wall of rear range at ground floor one three light casement with ovolo mullions, probably reused. Interior. Late C18 main staircase of six flights and two landings, open-string with three turned balusters to each tread, moulded and raked rail with curtail and scroll tread ends. Panelled dado to staircase. One ground floor room panelled in two heights with moulded dado and modillion cornice. Shouldered fireplace surround with carved pulvinated frieze, dentils to mantel cornice and a frieze of Vitruvian scroll ornament. Shouldered and ramped overmantle with drops of fruit and foliage. Doorways have shouldered architraves. Fragments of 1630 panelling, reset, are visible in cupboards between front range and kitchen. Pevesner (Buildings of England), p.336. VCH (Cambs) Col.IV, p.183.

Listing NGR: TF4711407012


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48081

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 336
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 183

End of official listing