GYMNASIUM AND ART AND CRAFT STUDIOS ADJOINING WEST OF HOMERTON COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126038

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1992

Statutory Address: GYMNASIUM AND ART AND CRAFT STUDIOS ADJOINING WEST OF HOMERTON COLLEGE, HILLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GYMNASIUM AND ART AND CRAFT STUDIOS ADJOINING WEST OF HOMERTON COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 06:16:28.

Location

Statutory Address: GYMNASIUM AND ART AND CRAFT STUDIOS ADJOINING WEST OF HOMERTON COLLEGE, HILLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TL4605156330

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HILLS ROAD TL 45 NE (west side) 21/10002 Gymnasium and Art & Craft Studios adjoining west of Homerton College - II Gymnasium and art and craft studios added to college 1914 by H G Ibberson. English bond red and purple brick with some stone dressings and flint panels. Steeply pitched plain tile roof with gabled ends and deep eaves on stone kneelers. Arts and Crafts Style. Plan: Large gymnasium in west range with cross-wing on east end with stair tower in north west angle and studios on first floor. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical south front. Main gymnasium range on left of 1 storey and attic, 4:1 bays with brick piers between large semi-circular 'clerestory' windows over boarded panels, the broader left pier rises above eaves, the right hand bay rises into gable with small 3-light window. Small, but long flat roof dormer above. Set back on right (E) gabled cross-wing with 3-bay loggia on ground floor and large stone mullion-transom window above with smaller side lights, flint panels between and chequerwork of flint and brick, carved panel and louvred ventilation slit in gable above. Similar window and 4 round arch windows on N end of cross-wing and low stair tower in right hand (NW) angle. Large stone mullion-transom window in west gable of gymnasium with lancet and ventilation slit above. Dated rainwater heads and leaded pane windows. Interior: Gymnasium has some original equipment and segmental arch 'apse'. Oak open well staircase to studios on first floor with arched roof trusses plastered over. Note: Attached to west end of the 1876-1891 Cavendish College, now Homerton College, acquired by the Congregational Board of Education in 1894. Sources: Buildings of England, Cambridgeshire p234. College History.

Listing NGR: TL4605156330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47928

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 234

End of official listing