This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MUSEUM OF CLASSICAL ARCHAEOLOGY PETERHOUSE, ARCH IN NORTH BOUNDARY WALL OF THE COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MUSEUM OF CLASSICAL ARCHAEOLOGY PETERHOUSE, ARCH IN NORTH BOUNDARY WALL OF THE COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1126153

Location

MUSEUM OF CLASSICAL ARCHAEOLOGY, LITTLE ST MARY'S LANE
PETERHOUSE, ARCH IN NORTH BOUNDARY WALL OF THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47562

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE ST MARY'S LANE 1. 942 (South Side) Museum of Classical Archaeology TL 4457 NE 9/556 II 2. 1883. By Basil Champneys. Ketton stone arcade with red brick filling 8 bays, the entrance being in the last on the right. Plinth supporting plain Ionic half-columns paired at either end; entablature with dentils, balustrade with vases on the columns and an extra one over the door. The doorway has freestanding Ionic columns topped by lions supporting arms, coat of arms in centre, double doors. Roof not visible. In the South wall, facing onto Peterhouse is the remains of a C16 4-centred arch end brick wall (RCHM Page 166).

The following notes should be added to the existing description:-

"Plain interior. Apparently converted from existing warehouses connected with the port. Some features remain, cellars, timbered roof, entrance ramp, hoist etc. A clever conversion for existing use".

------------------------------------

LITTLE ST MARY'S LANE 1. 942 (South Side) Museum of Classical Archaeology TL 4457 NE 9/556 II 2. 1883. By Basil Champneys. Ketton stone arcade with red brick filling. 8 bays, the entrance being in the last on the right. Plinth supporting plain Ionic half-columns paired at either end; entablature with dentils, balustrade with vases on the columns and an extra one over the door. The doorway has freestanding Ionic columns topped by lions supporting arms, coat of arms in centre, double doors. Roof not visible. In the South wall, facing onto Peterhouse is the remains of a C16 4-centred arch and brick wall (RCHM Page 166).

Listing NGR: TL4477057959

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 44770 57959

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:34:22.

End of official listing