THE OBSERVATORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126156

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: THE OBSERVATORY, MADINGLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OBSERVATORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126156 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 19:00:50.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OBSERVATORY, MADINGLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 43247 59441

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MADINGLEY ROAD 1. 942 The Observatory TL 45 NW 20/87B 26.4.50. II 2. Commenced 1822. John Clement Mead, architect. 2 storeys, ashlar in Neo- Greek style, slate and lead roofs. Built on half H shaped plan with wings extending towards the North and projecting central tetrastyle portico of Doric Order on South and entrance front. Small movable dome on centre of building. Built of brick faced with Bath stone and with a granite plinth. The dome is copper covered. Some original internal features. (RCHM 19).

Listing NGR: TL4324759441

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47569

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

End of official listing