This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH ARMY HOSTEL.

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH ARMY HOSTEL.

List entry Number: 1126214

Location

1-5, FAIR STREET
19, WILLOW WALK
CHURCH ARMY HOSTEL., FAIR STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FAIR STREET 1. 942 (East Side) Nos 1 to 5 (consec). Church Army Hostel. TL 4558 NE 5/492 II 2. With No 19, Willow Walk. Circa 1820. Built by Charles Humphrey as part of the Doll's Close development (see Maid's Causeway). Grey gault brick. Uniform frontage to Nos 1-5, each house of 2 bays, then a wide segmental- headed carriage arch and the hostel of 5 bays. 2 storeys, and basement, sashes with glazing bars. Timber doorcases with side-pilasters and plain entablatures. Slate roof. The north gable end of No 1 forms the original east end-feature of Maid's Causeway. A broad wall arch with elliptical head and pediment over a window for each floor within the arch, the basement and 1st floor windows partly concealed. The return wall of the hostel in Willow Walk is of 3 bays with 2 pilaster strips. Carved street nameplate. (RCHM 266).

Listing NGR: TL4557958729

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 45579 58729

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 02:02:15.

End of official listing