UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126281

Date first listed: 10-May-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1972

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, QUEENS ROAD

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126281 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 13:24:40.

Location

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, QUEENS ROAD

Statutory Address: UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 44161 58411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UNIVERSITY LIBRARY 1. 942 (West Road) TL 4458 16/255B 10.5.62 II 2. Built in 1931-4. Architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Long half H-shaped building. Red brick. Stone plinth, stringcourse and cornice. Pantiled roof. Projecting centre with round-headed rusticated archway, 4 windows over, pediment and tall tower. On each side of this, recessed portions of 3 windows each, and then blocks of 12 tall strip windows with recessed penthouse storey and widely overhanging eaves. At each L-shaped block of lower elevation, 2 storeys and 7 windows. Included inside are a number of C17 and C18 bookcases including the ones designed for the Old University Library by James Essex in 1731-4. (RCHM 21, bookcases only).

Listing NGR: TL4416158411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47312

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing