This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1126344

Location

THE SCHOOL, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burrough Green

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 65 NW BURROUGH GREEN THE GREEN (West Side)

6/26 The School 1.12.51

GV II

School dated 1714, date on plaster panel in gable wall partly covered by extension in 1877 when it became the National School; cross-wing built c.1920 with plaque '1914-1919'. Clunch with some limestone repair, red brick gable walls. Slate roof steeply pitched. One storey, symmetrical facade with central doorway sealed with original moulded architrave, key block, and cornice. Two round arch niches above, one to left hand of girl with inscription 'TRAIN UP A CHILD', one to right hand of a boy with inscription 'NAKED AND YE CLOTHED ME'. Two large round arched hung sash windows shaped to arch. Rusticated quoins; moulded cornice. Original school built with money from the will of Samuel Richardson. VCH, Vol. VI, p.147. Palmer, History of Burrough Green, p65, 1939.

Listing NGR: TL6373255590

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, , History of Burrough Green, (1939)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 147

National Grid Reference: TL 63732 55590

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 12:58:25.

End of official listing