LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126376

Date first listed: 02-Apr-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 02:41:42.

Location

Statutory Address: LODGES, GATEWAY AND RAILINGS TO SOUTH OF PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Chippenham

National Grid Reference: TL 66357 68199

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM CHIPPENHAM PARK

6/67 Lodges, gateway and railings to south of Park 2.4.76 (formerly listed as Arch and South Lodges at Chippenham GV II* Park)

Matching pair of Neo Classical lodges and gateway c.1745 built for Lord Sandys. Ashlar limestone with low pitched slate roofs. Central, red brick stacks. Two storeys with main entrances facing carriageway and triangular pedimented gables to road. Band between floors. Three first floor casement windows with glazing bars recessed in segmental arches. One large central round-headed hung sash window with glazing bars shaped to arch flanked by two matching doors each with projecting cornice and Greek fret designed frieze. Low wall with iron railings shaped in plan links lodges to main entrance gateway. Large round-head archway with two small flanking arches with railings, two recessed panels above with swags and panel below, deep classical cornice with frieze inscription 'In spe spire'. Sculpture of Hope above in Coade stone, added by John Tharp, c.1800.

Barber R W. History of Cambridgeshire, p.31 O.S. Maps, 1885, 1903. C.R.O.

Listing NGR: TL6635768199

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48992

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barber, RW, History of Chippenham, (1897), 31
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

End of official listing