PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126402

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, 128, LOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:14:53.

Location

Statutory Address: PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE, 128, LOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Burwell

National Grid Reference: TL 58464 66645

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5866 BURWELL LOW ROAD (West Side)

15/27 No 128 (Parson- 1.12.51 age Farmhouse) (formerly listed as Parsonage Farmhouse, barn GV and outbuildings) II

Farmhouse with parlour wing to east of tower-house proportions with attached late medieval barn partly derelict to west. Three building periods; late C16 farmhouse includes the end bay and gable wall of the earlier barn and possibly other medieval fragments in the strange alignment of the parlour wing and service rooms; enclosure of area to east of stair turret and service rooms early to mid C17. Alterations in C18 include a passage built through the chimney stack at ground floor and a staircase in the hall. Painted clunch. Modern interlocking roof tiles, tall C19 gault brick ridge stack, brick dressings. Two storeys and attics, cross-wing three storeys with double parapetted facade gables facing south. Main range has one first floor three-light casement window, and two twelve-paned hung sash windows with one sealed, chamfered-mullioned window. One ground floor three-light casement window and two sixteen-paned hung sash windows to left hand of round-arched doorway. Parlour wing of two 'bays' has two, three-light casement attic windows, one first floor twelve-paned hung sash window and two sixteen- paned, hung sash ground floor windows. Interior details contemporary with late C16 and early C17 include a balustered screen in passage to rear of parlour. The fabric of the barn walls survive in part and the trusses below tie beam level (see RCHM measured drawing). The quality of the barn suggests a public use such as a trading hall associated with some local industry. It was in the possession of Ramsey Abbey till the Dissolution in 1537.

Sayer W. Notes of Burwell Church Lucas C. The Fenman's World, p.97, 1928 RCHM, North-East Cambs, p.32, mon. 40 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.312

Listing NGR: TL5846466645

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48954

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lucas, C , The Fenmans World, (1928), 97
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)
Sayer, W , Notes on Burwell Church,

End of official listing