WICKEN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126420

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: WICKEN HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WICKEN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 20:22:35.

Location

Statutory Address: WICKEN HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wicken

National Grid Reference: TL 57711 70498

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 57 SE WICKEN CHURCH ROAD (South Side) 8/83 Wicken Hall 1.12.51 (formerly listed as Hall Farmhouse) GV II



House, late C16 or early Cl7 with west gable end wall probably surviving from earlier building on the site. In c.1760 the facade was remodelled and gable ends partly rebuilt. Timber- framed, plaster rendered on a clunch sill. The west gable end is of narrow red brick, part English bond on a high sill of clunch with one corner block with a masonry joint. The upper courses of this wall were rebuilt in c.1760 in yellow gault brick. The roof is steeply pitched, plain tiled with c.1760 gable end parapets on kneelers. The two principal chimney stacks date from the late C16 or early C17, although they have been rebuilt. The original house is of L-plan with a stair turret in the angle. Two storeys and attic. One gabled dormer. Range of three hung sashes, each of twelve panes. Two similar windows, but of sixteen panes on either side of c.l760 pedimented doorway with doorcase of fluted pilasters and Doric frieze. Semi-circular headed fanlight with radial and swagged glazing bars above a panelled door. Inside there is a large inglenook in the former hall and another abutting in the rear service wing. Another ground floor room has a late C16 or early Cl7 fireplace of clunch. Wave moulded four-centred arch with rosette and foliate decoration in the spandrels, and stop chamfered jambs on a high base. Two similar but smaller and plainer fireplaces of clunch are visible on the first floor, and a fourth fireplace is now sealed. The roof is of clasped side purlin construction with the principals linked by collars. The wall bracing is long and straight RCHM: Record Card.

Listing NGR: TL5771170498

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48891

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing