SPINNEY ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126430

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: SPINNEY ABBEY, STRETHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPINNEY ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126430 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:29:44.

Location

Statutory Address: SPINNEY ABBEY, STRETHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wicken

National Grid Reference: TL 55502 71753

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 57 NE WICKEN STRETHAM ROAD (South Side) 8/106 Spinney Abbey

II



House dated 1775 on right hand gabled end on or near the site of a C13 priory of Augustinian Canons. The house is built on a plan of two parallel gables linked by a short hall range. The walls are of coursed Barnack ashlar reused from the priory and also of clunch, probably from Burwell. There is some gault brick in the rear walls. Plain tiled gable roofs. Two storeys and attics. Garden front has two cross-frame casements with later glazing, to each gable end and a central doorway. A similar window in the rear wall still retains its original leaded lights. Inside there are two early C17 doors reset in an attic and some square sunken panelling of similar date reset in a bedroom. The house has a cellar lined with clunch with an early C17 stop chamfered ceiling beam. A ground floor room has a reused beam of similar date set diagonally. In the kitchen there is a 1775 shouldered fireplace surround and a corner cupboard with raised and fielded panelling. In the garden to the west there are a number of pieces of C14 moulded Barnack limestone from the priory. One is a wheel-cross, another a bell shaped capital and others quatrefoils with small shafts where the foils meet, the latter pieces of stone probably formed part of an arcade. RCHM: Record Card. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.485.

Listing NGR: TL5550271753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48914

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 485

End of official listing