ST MARY'S VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126467

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Statutory Address: ST MARY'S VICARAGE, 29, ST MARYS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:12:32.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARY'S VICARAGE, 29, ST MARYS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 53809 80260

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. ST MARY'S STREET 1082 (South Side) No 29 TL 5379 2/40 (St Mary's vicarage) 23.9.50. Vicarage) - II* GV 2.

Mainly a Cl6 timber-framed and plastered house with exposed timber framing on the front block. A brick and stone wing extends to the south at the rear. It has some traces of earlier work including stone arches of circa 1380. 2 storeys. 5 window range on the north front and 1 window range on the east end. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with C20 casements with leaded lights. The ground storey was built out in the C18 and the windows are C20, with leaded lights. The doorway has a C18 doorcase with moulded architraves and a flat hood on shaped brackets. A plaque on the front states : "Cromwell House,the residence of Oliver Cromwell from 1636-1647 when collector of Ely Tithes. Roof tiled with a tall C17 brick chimney stack at the rear. The interior has Cl6 panelling and a stone winder staircase with central newel circa 1450 (now wood covered), A Cl6 fireplace and the remains of a gallery with an original C15 window.

Nos 13 to 29 (odd) and 29A, Parson's Almshouses form a group with Nos 20, 22. 22A, Nos 24 to 30 (even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38, Nos 40 to 60 (even), No 20 Church Lane and Parish Church of St Mary. Also Nos 13 o 29 (odd) 29A Parson's Almshouses & Nos 20, 22, 22A, Nos 24 to 30 (even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38 & Nos 40 to 60 (even) form a group with Nos 1 to 5 Downham Road.

Listing NGR: TL5380980260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48811

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing