STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1126481

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Statutory Address: STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE, 9, THE GALLERY

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 15:05:54.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES TO BISHOP'S PALACE, 9, THE GALLERY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 54003 80161

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE GALLERY 1. 1082 No 9 (Stables to Bishop's Palace) (formerly listed as part of Bishop's Palace, palace Green) TL 5379 2/145 TL 5479 2/145 GV 2. A C13 Carr stone rubble building with Barnack stone dressings. The north front was remodelled in the Cl6 and faced in red brick. Originally used as a range of stables with lofts and living quarters above, it is now a single dwelling. 2 storeys, The south front has C13 narrow lancet windows with arched heads on the lst storey and a loft doorway approached by an external wood staircase. The ground storey has C20 casement windows and garage accommodation. The north front of Cl6 red brick with stone dressings was probably built in circa 1550 by Bishop Goodrich when he built the west tower and wing to Bishopfs Palace. At the east end there is a stone dressed crows stepped gable with a loft entrance doorway. A number of blocked window openings survive, some with 4-centred arched heads. At the east end there is the blocked upper part of a 4-centred arched carriage way with squared hood mould and carved spandrels and a square stone panel, carved, above. The carriage way originally opened on to a stable yard on the south side where there is a corresponding 4-centred archway. Roof tiled.

Nos 2 to 8 (consec), No 9 (stables to the Bishop's Palace) form a group with The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), The Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the Garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and wall to the Barn and Storehouse together with the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Bishop's palace and the Wall to the Bishop's palace. The college.

Listing NGR: TL5400380161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48735

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing