ALMONRY, SACRISTS HALL, GATE AND GOLDSMITHS TOWER THE ALMONRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1126503

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Statutory Address: ALMONRY, SACRISTS HALL, GATE AND GOLDSMITHS TOWER, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE ALMONRY, THE COLLEGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALMONRY, SACRISTS HALL, GATE AND GOLDSMITHS TOWER
THE ALMONRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:35:21.

Location

Statutory Address: ALMONRY, SACRISTS HALL, GATE AND GOLDSMITHS TOWER, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE ALMONRY, THE COLLEGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 54246 80291

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 The Almonry TL 5480 1/88 23.9.50. GV 2. The Almonry stands at the east end of the long range of buildings which back on to the High Street on the north side, including the sacristy, Gate and Goldsmith's Tower. The space between the/Almonry and the Sacristy - to the west of it was filled in during th C19 in similar style. The Almonry is a late Cl2 building of Carr Stone rubble with Barnack stone dressings. It is built above a vaulted undercroft of circa 1200, with ribs springing from central octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The upper storey originally contained a school, chambers for the Sacrist and Chaplian, dormitories and a chapel at the east end. 2 blocked lancet windows survive in the gable end, The poor were fed in the undercroft. The north front has C19 or C20 windows on the lst storey and small, stone dressed windows with cusped arches on the ground storey. The south front has similar windows, some with 2 lights. Roof tiled, with C19 gabled dormers and C19 moulded brick shafted chimneys.

The Almonry, Wall to the gardens of the Almonry and Painted Chamber, the Sacristy Gate and Goldsmith's Tower form a group with all the listed buildings in High Street except No 2. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5424680291

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48692

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing