Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1126505

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950



Ordnance survey map of THE QUEEN'S HALL (HEADMASTER'S HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126505 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 18:08:30.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 54028 80172


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 The Queen's Hall TL 5479 2/92 (Headmaster's House) 23.9.50. GV 2. The Queen's Hall was built by Prior Crauden circa 1330. It is said to have been built for entertaining Queen Philippa, wife of Edward III. It is now the Headmaster's House of the King's School. The original vaulted undercroft remains with ribbed vaulting springing from plain columns without capitals. There are C14 pointed arched windows with curvilinear tracery on the south and east fronts. It is built of Carr stone rubble with Barnack, or similar, stone dressings and much brick patching. The hall of 4 bays, which has been sub-divided to form a dwelling house, is buttressed on the east front and has small corner wings (or towers) on the south end. The present steeply pitched tiled roof replaces an earlier flat leaded roof. The line of the original roof can still be seen on the south gable. Although much altered, the interior retains Cl4 features including corbels carved in the shape of crouching figures (similar to those in the Great Hall) which took the roof principals, also a C14 corbelled chimney stack on the west side, with ogee arches springing from carved heads. (Originally an external feature, now enclosed by later buildings).

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), wall to the garden of the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's house (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse form a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Gallery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5402880172


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48696

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing