32, OLD MARKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126595

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 01-May-1984

Statutory Address: 32, OLD MARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 32, OLD MARKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:45:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 32, OLD MARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 45978 09801

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for 5/232 WISBECH OLD MARKET (west side) No 32 (Sulehay House) The address shall be amended to read

WISBECH OLD MARKET (North side)

------------------------------------

WISBECH OLD MARKET TF 4509 9 (West Side) 5/232 No. 32 (Sulehay House) GV II*

House built 1723, dated rainwater head. Side entrance to east later in C18, raised to two storeys in C19. Local red brick with stone bands and plinth band, and rusticated quoins from first floor. Three storeys and basement. Four end stacks, parapet to each elevation with stone coping and two brick panels to north and south elevations. Two, twelve-paned, slightly recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged brick arches with stone cills; two similar, but larger windows at ground floor and first floor. Side entrance approached by stone steps with iron railings. Round-headed, moulded, stone architrave with lion masks, six-panelled door with patterned fanlight. Brick pier with stone cap, urn finial and plinth terminating boundary wall to east. Interior has very fine original open-string staircase with carved brackets to newels with volutes and leaf swags; carved leaf ornament to stair risers. Panelled doors; raised and fielded panelling and cornices. VCH Cambs, p.243. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech Collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.499. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.

Listing NGR: TF4597809801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48439

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 499
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 243

End of official listing