This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

4, UNION PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 4, UNION PLACE

List entry Number: 1126606

Location

4, UNION PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48465

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH UNION PLACE TF 4609 6/258 No. 4 GV II

Terrace house built c.1800, one of six houses built as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate by Joseph Medworth (c.1754, d.1827). Local brown brick; modern interlocking tile roof and pantile roof. Three storeys and basement, four 'bays' including side passage to right hand with boarded door and painted panel in lieu of fanlight in round-headed brick arch. Main entrance has wooden doorcase with fluted pilasters and broken pediment, plain round-headed fanlight and six-panelled door. Shallow parapet with stone coping. Two, second floor, nine-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered, gauged red brick arches and stone cills and two painted blind windows. Three first floor and two ground floor twelve-paned hung sash windows in similar openings with one painted blind window at each storey above passage way. Painted stone cill band at first floor. Interior has plain, original staircase, and two, reed-panelled chimney pieces and panelled doors. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502. VCH Cambs, p.242. Colvin, p.386, 1950. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus. Three Histories of Wisbech, 1827, 1849 and 1897. G. Annis, History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.

Listing NGR: TF4617409614

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 502
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849)
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

National Grid Reference: TF 46174 09614

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:28:12.

End of official listing