HARECROFT SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126612

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: HARECROFT SCHOOL, 46, 47 AND 48, NORTH BRINK

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARECROFT SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 08:02:23.

Location

Statutory Address: HARECROFT SCHOOL, 46, 47 AND 48, NORTH BRINK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 45627 09514

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following previous listing date shall be added.

Page 79 Item number 5/182 10.2.69

--------------------------------------

WISBECH NORTH BRINK TF 4509 5/182 Nos. 46, 47 and 48 (Harecourt School) GV II

Ilianate villa now a school said to have been designed by Algenon Peckover, 1840-50. Yellow gault brick with stone details; hipped slate roofs with symmetrical stacks. Three storeys and half basement with two storey wing to south-west. School room additions to north east c.1904 replace matching original wing. First floor stone cill band. Deep boarded eaves with scroll enrichment to plastered frieze band, repeated on wing. Five second floor recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged brick arches, five larger twelve-paned windows at first floor, and four similar ground floor windows. Entrance approached by seven stone steps and curving ornamental railing to basement forecourt. Limestone doorcase with moulded impost, round-headed arch and key block. Eight panelled door with round-headed fanlight. Contemporary wing with pedimented gable has side entrance in corner porch. Six-panelled door in round- headed arch with fanlight. Two hung sash windows in recessed two storey arch, first floor window shaped to round-headed arch. Blind arch to south-west balancing porch. VCH Cambs, p.242. Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1948, 1970. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.486, 1847.

Listing NGR: TF4561209551

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48387

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 486
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1948)
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1970)

End of official listing