THE MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126669

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: THE MUSEUM, MUSEUM SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 17:24:46.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MUSEUM, MUSEUM SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46260 09567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following previous listing date shall be added.

Page 55 Item number 6/127 10.2.69

--------------------------------------

WISBECH MUSEUM SQUARE TF 4609 (North Side) 6/127 The Museum GV II*

Museum, one of the first to be designed in the country, architect George Buckler (b.1811-86). Built in 1846-7. Grey gault brick with stone dressings; slate roofs with two stacks. Two storeys and half-basements; two rear wings extended in 1884. Symmetrical facade with entrance bay recessed. Deep, moulded dentil cornice and stone frieze band. Rainwater head taken from Albion Place dated 1722 with cross-keys. Main entrance approached by seven stone steps with iron railings. Quasi-Doric porch, including side-lights, to half-glazed double doors. Two, first floor, and two larger ground floor three-light hung sash windows with console brackets to cills and deep cornices. Four stone piers terminate low garden wall with stone copings, originally with iron railings. Interior has entrance hall with top lit central hall to rear. Long display hall to left hand with gallery on three sides and two open string staircases with patterned cast iron balusters. Library to right hand exended 1884. All rooms fitted with original display cases and bookcases. VCH Cambs, p.243. Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p,199. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502. Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1960. Craddock and Walker, History of Wisbech, p.433. A. Peckover, Watercolour, W. & F. Mus. S. Smith, photographic collection, W. & F. Mus, 1853-8. P.H. Peckover, photographic collection, p,121, 1931.

Listing NGR: TF4626009567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48325

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 199
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 502
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 243
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 433
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1960)

End of official listing