5, The Crescent

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126670

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 5, The Crescent, Wisbech, PE13 1EH

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5, The Crescent
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 03:15:12.

Location

Statutory Address: 5, The Crescent, Wisbech, PE13 1EH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46199 09530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 4609 6/29

WISBECH THE CRESCENT No. 5

GV

II Terrace house built c.1793 in two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick; slate roof and side stack.

Three storeys and basement; two 'bays'. Stone-coped parapet with painted stone bands at first and second floor. Two second-floor, and two larger first-floor, twelve-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged red brick arches with stone cills. Two ground-floor windows to right hand of entrance approached by two stone steps. Six-panelled door with patterned glazing bars to fanlight in painted, double recessed round headed, red gauged brick arch. Interior has original, reeded window and door architraves. Rear outshut raised to three storeys; with original canted bay window and tented roof.

NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982.

Listing NGR: TF4619909530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48227

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing