This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

11, THE CRESCENT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 11, THE CRESCENT

List entry Number: 1126674

Location

11, THE CRESCENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48234

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/35 No. 11 GV II

Terrace house built c.1797 in two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick; slate roof, side stack. Three storeys and basement; two 'bays', Stone coping to parapet, and bands at first and second floors. One sixteen-paned, and one twelve-paned recessed hung sash windows at second floor in cambered gauged red brick arches and stone cills. Two larger first floor windows and one ground floor window without glazing bars in similar openings. Entrance to right hand approached by two stone steps with six-panelled door and fanlight with patterned glazing bars in double recessed round-headed arch of gauged brick. Interior has original staircase with patterned wooden panels to balustrade of small storage landing. NMR (C. Godfrey, photographic collection of Wisbech) 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4614909560

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

National Grid Reference: TF 46149 09560

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126674 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:14:08.

End of official listing