12, THE CRESCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126675

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: 12, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12, THE CRESCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 22:20:42.

Location

Statutory Address: 12, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46146 09565

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/36 No. 12 GV II

Terrace house built c.1797 in two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick; slate roof, side stack. Three storeys and basement; three 'bays'. Stone coping to parapet, and bands at first and second floors. Three, second floor, nine-paned hung sash windows in cambered gauged red brick arches and stone cills. Similar twelve-paned hung sash windows at first floor, and two ground floor windows without glazing bars. Entrance to right hand approached by two stone steps, six-panelled door and round- headed plain fanlight in wooden doorcase of fluted pilasters with broken pediment. Interior has original staircase, six-panelled doors and beaten metal art nouveau chimney piece. NMR (C. Godfrey, photographic collection of Wisbech) 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4614609565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48235

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 386
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 386
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

End of official listing