This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

5, ELY PLACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 5, ELY PLACE

List entry Number: 1126677

Location

5, ELY PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48241

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH ELY PLACE TF 4609 6/44 No. 5 GV II

Terrace house built c.1797, part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate designed and built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827). Local brown brick; slate roof with side stack. Three storeys with basement, four 'bays'. Stone coping to parapet and cill band. Windows all recessed hung sashes with four panes except one twelve-paned at ground floor, in cambered gauged red brick arches and stone cills. Three second floor, one first floor, and one ground floor blind windows. Wooden doorcase with broken pediment, half-round fluted pilasters, six-panelled door with radial glazing bars to fanlight. Royal, fire insurance plaque. NMR (C. Gregory, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. A.A. Oldham, Fire Marks, 1955, W. & F. flus. Colvin, p.286,1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, p.278, History of Wisbech, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4624309572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Annis, G, A History of Wisbech Castle, (1977)
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 286
Oldham, A A , Fire Marks, (1955)
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 242
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849), 278
Watson, W, An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech, (1827)

National Grid Reference: TF 46243 09572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:51:30.

End of official listing