CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126690

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, LYNN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:24:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, LYNN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland (District Authority)

Parish: Wisbech

National Grid Reference: TF 46386 09997

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH LYNN ROAD TF 41 SE TF 4609 (South Side) 2/78 6/78 CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE GV II

Church, built in 1869 as part of the Park development scheme. Architect, Mr. Bassett-Smith. Yellow gault brick with red brick banding and decoration and limestone dressings. Slate roof with red patterned ridge tiles. Gothic style. Buttressed bays to single storey chancel and aisles to north and south of nave with clerestorey. Windows with trefoiled lights grouped in pairs, or threes, with stone cills. Stone copings to gable parapets with 'kneelers'. Cross finial to west and bell turret to east of nave. Moulded brick cornices. Entrance in north aisle; west gable entrance with two-centred, stone-coped arch. Interior intact with contemporary and later memorial stained glass. VCH Cambs, p.250. Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p.185, p.256, 1898. P.H. Peckover, photographic collection, p.162, 1931. Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1973.

Listing NGR: TF4638609997

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 48275

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 256
Gardiner, F J, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, (1898), 185
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 250
'Wisbech Society Annual Report' in Wisbech Society Annual Report, (1973)

End of official listing