WOODCROFT CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126782

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: WOODCROFT CASTLE, WOODCROFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODCROFT CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:14:14.

Location

Statutory Address: WOODCROFT CASTLE, WOODCROFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Etton

National Grid Reference: TF 14006 04502

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 ETTON WOODCROFT ROAD Woodcroft Castle TF 10 SW 10/220 15.12.55 II* GV 2. Inhabited fragment of late C13 castle on a moated site, and with additions and alterations. What remains is the west side of the original building with a central gateway and a circular tower at the north end. There was probably a courtyard at the centre and the 3 other sides and the associated corner towers are no longer standing. Ashlar. West front has central 3-storey gateway with wide double-chamfered segmental arched entrance, and flanking 2½ storey 3-bay wings. On the north end is a 3-storey circular corner tower rising from the moat. The tower, gateway and attic storeys have single-light windows with shouldered heads set in chamfered recesses. The rest of the windows are mainly 2-, 3- or 4-light stone mullion windows with straight heads and arched lights. Moulded string courses at floor levels. L-shaped on plan with short early Tudor wing to north-east. Interior: has large medieval fireplace. The Rev Dr Michael Hudson, Chaplain to Charles I took part in the defence of the castle against Parliamentary troops in 1649. The incident is illustrated in Bridge's History of Northamptonshire Vol IV plate LXXX page 508. VCH Northants Vol II page 488. NMR.

Listing NGR: TF1400604502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50010

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bridges, J, The History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire, (1791), 508
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906), 488

End of official listing