This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BELSIZE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BELSIZE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1126823

Location

BELSIZE FARMHOUSE, CASTOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Castor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR CASTOR ROAD Belsize Farmhouse TF 10 SW 10/139 15.12.55 II 2. Probably C16/17. Former grange of the Benedictine Abbey of Peterborough. In 1214 Abbot Robert of Lindsey built houses at Belsize. In C15, Belsize must have been a small village. At Dissolution it belonged to monastery of Peterborough and in 1650 it was sold by the Commissioners. (VCH). Long coursed stone rubble house with gabled cross wing at west end. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof with gabled ends. West end of roof is at slightly lower level. Two storeys. Mostly C19 2-light casements with glazing bars. Ground floor, south side of east range, there is a C17 2-light stone mullion window. Brick ridge and end chimney stacks. Lean-to in the angle of cross wing on south side. Rear (north) wall partly rebuilt in brick. Interior: heavy unsawn timber ceiling beams. VCH Northamptonshire Vol II.

Listing NGR: TF1384701129

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906)

National Grid Reference: TF 13847 01129

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126823 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:23:48.

End of official listing