KINGSLEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126879

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1982

Statutory Address: KINGSLEY HOUSE, BISHOPS WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGSLEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:52:36.

Location

Statutory Address: KINGSLEY HOUSE, BISHOPS WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barnack

National Grid Reference: TF 07829 04942

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 BARNACK BISHOP'S WALK Kingsley House TF 0704 39/56 19.3.62 II GV 2. Formerly The Rectory. Early C16 house extended in 1880. C16 cross wing is to the north, coursed stone rubble with new tile roof with gabled ends, in the end wall there is a C19 gothic oriel window. The C16 link wing has been demolished except for its east front wall which is 2 storeys and 3 bays with stone mullion windows and buttresses with set-offs. Adjoining south, the main house was built in 1880 in early C16 style, coursed stone with freestone dressings. Asymmetrical L-shaped on plan. Two storeys. Parapets with moulded coping and string courses. East front has projecting 2 storeyed porch off centre with oriel with battlements and moulded 2 centred arch doorway below. Gable to left. Two and three-light windows to right ground floor have gothic tracery. The south front has canted bay to right, pointed arch stair window at centre and gable to left with corbelled chimney stack, all chimney stacks are crenellated. The house was a rectory in the time of Rigus Fletcher, chaplain to Mary Queen of Scots, rector from 1586-1590. The father of Charles Kingsley was rector here in the early C19, the latter being five when he came here in 1824. His younger brothers George and Henry were born here in 1827 and 1830. VCH Northants, vol II, page 463.

Listing NGR: TF0782904942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49840

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906), 463

End of official listing