GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGE NUMBER 184

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1126894

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGE NUMBER 184, THE NENE VIADUCT

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGE NUMBER 184
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 13:30:18.

Location

Statutory Address: GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGE NUMBER 184, THE NENE VIADUCT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 19034 98140

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE FOLLOWING ITEM SHALL BE ADDED: The Nene Viaduct 1. 1500 (GNR Railway Bridge No 184) TL 19 NE SP 1043 II* 0/1043 2. Railway Viaduct. Built 1850 by Lewis Cubbitt, engineer. Strengthened 1910 and 1914, additions. 1924. Cast iron and white brick with ashlar dressings. 3 shallow arches each consisting of six curved members as girders, which rest on 2 sets twelve cast iron baseless fluted Doric columns, which in turn rest on 2 cast iron caissons sunk in the river. The bridge is topped by an ornate iron balustrade. The abuttments are built of white brick with moulded ashlar details, some parts have been patched with blue engineering bricks. The side sections of the bridge are made up of blue brick around the arches. The bridge was strengthened with steel ties in 1910 and again in 1914. In 1924 another steel bridge was built to the west, in order to double the capacity but this section is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TL1903498140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49782

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing