This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAILWAY ENGINE SHEDS AND WORKSHOPS AT NATIONAL GRID REFERENCE 196 979

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAILWAY ENGINE SHEDS AND WORKSHOPS AT NATIONAL GRID REFERENCE 196 979

List entry Number: 1126895

Location

RAILWAY ENGINE SHEDS AND WORKSHOPS AT NATIONAL GRID REFERENCE 196 979, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49783

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

PETERBOROUGH STATION ROAD TL 19 NE 0/10001 Railway engine sheds and workshops at NGR 196 979 GV II Railway engine sheds and workshops. 1848 for the Great Eastern and Midland Railway Companies. Stock brick with some stone dressings. Slate roof with coped gable ends. Brick axial and lateral stacks with stone cornices. Plan: Pair of large parallel adjoining engine sheds with workshop range across the west end. Exterior: 1 storey. The north and south sides of the engine sheds each have eleven bays of double recessed round-arch windows, some retaining cast-iron window frames with glazing bars, some blocked; centre bay has narrow blind round arch in lateral stack, the south stack truncated; 2 large entrances in east end gables with steel girder lintels. The workshop range at west end has 9- bay west front with large segmentally arched windows, mostly blocked, and the centre with later porch. The workshop and south engine shed have raised ridge ventilators with louvred sides, the workshop range with pair of stacks at centre. Interior: timber roof trusses, large water tank with cast-iron base. 6 tracks in place and pits survive under concrete floor. Note: The sheds were used jointly by the Great Eastern and Midland Railway Companies until 1872 when the Great Eastern took over the whole shed. Remained in railway use until the 1950s.

Listing NGR: TL1956997955

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL1956997955

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126895 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:35:46.

End of official listing