THE LIDO

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1126896

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1992

Statutory Address: THE LIDO, BISHOP'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LIDO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 05:02:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LIDO, BISHOP'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 19466 98370

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The folloing building shall be added to the list:-

PETERBOROUGH BISHOP'S ROAD TL 19 NE (south side) SP/1071 The Lido - II Open air swimming pools, with changing rooms and sunbathing facilities. Designed 1936 by a committee of honorary architects. Painted and rendered brick with hipped green pantile roofs. The buildings surround the pools on three sides, there is a large 50 yard Main Pool, plus a Learner Pool and a Paddling Pool. The Main, west, range has a central 2-storey gateway and grandstand, the west front has 3 central round headed entrances with fanlights, flanked by 6-light metal casements. Above a tall square clock tower surmounted by a pyramidal copper roof. Set back to either side are single storey wings with continuous metal framed window strips, topped by square piers with iron fencing between. Either end has a square 2-storey pavilion, with a 3- light metal casement window to each floor on both outer facades. Side fronts have single storey wings with continuous metal framed window strips, topped by square piers with iron fencing between. Beyond are further 2-storey pavilions, with single 3-light metal casements. The inner facades are linked by a continuous open loggia around 3 sides of the pools. The central grandstand has a snack bar on the ground floor, with 2 long staircases reaching the upper floor which also has an open loggia supported on square columns. The main pool has diving boards and various short and tall octagonal lights. This building was built by Peterborough City Council, and opened by the Mayor (Coun. A H Mellows) on Friday May 25th 1936.

Listing NGR: TL1946698370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49785

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing